Thursday, August 11, 2005

"Be Still My Soul" or More Hymns

This morning I found myself overwhelmed by all that lies ahead in the next few weeks. The thought of Mike being away for 10 days and caring for our children alone is very daunting to me. As much as I love them, I am just not looking forward to these days without Mike here. And even though I have peace about the boys starting school, I still am overwhelmed by the changes that will bring to our schedule. As I was feeding the kids breakfast I was wallowing in self-pity and worry. I realized too, that I was being a very impatient and crabby Mommy because I wanted to be alone in my personal thoughts and worries.

But as I've shared before, we have been listening to Amy Grant's hymn CDs at breakfast time. Just as I was about to lose it because of Grace's never-ending string of questions and Noah clammering for more waffles, the song Be Still My Soul came on. "In every change He faithful will remain" was what really got my attention.

After breakfast, I quickly went to our hymnbook to take a closer look at the words to this song. The first two verses were especially what I needed this morning.

Be Still, My Soul

Be still, my soul! the Lord is on thy side;
Bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
Leave to thy God to order and provide;
In every change He faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul! thy best, thy heavenly Friend
Thro' thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul! thy God doth undertake
To guide the future as He has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
All now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul! the waves and winds still know
His voice who ruled them while He dwelt below.

Words by Katharine von Schlegal
Music by Jean Sibelious


Then, a few pages over, I found another hymn that is one of my favorites, Trusting Jesus. Allow me to share the first three verses:

Trusting Jesus

Simply trusting every day,
Trusting through a stormy way;
Even when my faith is small,
Trusting Jesus - that is all.

Brightly doth His Spirit shine
Into this poor heart of mine.
While He leads I cannot fall,
Trusting Jesus - that is all.

Singing if my way is clear,
Praying if the path be drear;
If in danger, for Him call,
Trusting Jesus - that is all.

Trusting as the moments fly,
Trusting as the days go by;
Trusting Him whate'er befall,
Trusting Jesus - that is all.

Words by Edgar P. Stites
Music by Ira D. Sankey


I'm so thankful that I have a God who is so faithful in caring for me. And that every little detail of my life and my concerns are important to Him. It's so easy to get hung up with the worries of this life, but this song gives a clear answer of what I need to be doing....Trusting Jesus -that is all!

Have a good day!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Brent oil price surpasses 65 dollars for first time
Envoys: Iran Faces Sept. Deadline on Nukes AP Gaza pullout opponents stage last show of strength AFP AFP/File Photo: View of a Total Nigeria offshore oil and gas production platform at Amenam in the... Mideast ...
Nice blog site, really cool!

I have a Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Part site/blog. It pretty much covers Hampton Bay Ceiling Fan Part related stuff.

Come and check it out if you get time.

Anonymous said...

Thank you that post made my day. I won't put a link to some crummy blog haha.