Saturday, April 25, 2009

Friday Night Fun

So yesterday, Sam comes home with this note taped to his tray....

Dear Mom and Dad,

I want to go spring dance at 6 o'clock
April 24, 2009, at middle school. My
friend Cassie wants me to call her. She
would like to go with me. There is
tickets for baskets to win different
prizes. One is Webkinz. Her phone
number is XXXXXXXXXX.

By SAM


Well, first it hit me that April 24th was "today!" And then I looked at the clock and realized it was already 4:00 and I hadn't done a thing to start dinner yet. So I told Sam I wasn't sure and we would have to wait until Dad got home to see what he thought.

Mike got home about 45 minutes later and Sam showed him the note. He said it was fine with him...."but you want to take him, right?"

I'd been BAM-BOOZLED!!

So I said if Daddy cooked dinner and helped get Sam ready, so I could get ready we could go.

Next we had to call Cassie. Sam said he wanted to talk to her himself. So Mike dialed the number, but Sam was SO excited that all he could do was giggle and Mike had to tell Cassie that Sam was coming and would see her there.

I should probably explain a little bit about this "dance," lest you think I'm letting my 10-year-old date already. The Spring Dance is an annual PTO fundraiser and is a family event. They sell tickets to the "dance" and also each grade makes up a gift basket and they sell raffle tickets for the baskets and give those away at the event.

So the real draw of going for Sam and Cassie was that one of the baskets was indeed filled with 17 Webkinz! And there was probably more "small children running around to music" than there was dancing. They did do the Hokey-Pokey, the chicken dance, and the limbo though.

But it was really sweet. Sam has REALLY good friends and I am very thankful for that. I took a bunch of pictures of Sam dancing and doing the limbo, but I will have to see if there are any I can post since there are other kids in most of them.

And, no, neither Sam or Cassie won the Webkinz basket. :o(

That was my Friday night!

1 comment:

Pam said...

Too cute!!! :) I can't wait to see pictures of that!