Thursday, October 27, 2005

Thinking out loud here...

This week is Red Ribbon Week at school....a national anti-drug campaign that encourages kids that they are "too cool to do drugs." My first thought was "Hello!!!!!! Do kindergarteners even KNOW what drugs are?" Samuel brought home a paper he was supposed to fill in telling what HIS "anti-drug" is....something that he likes to do instead of doing drugs. Give me a break!!!!!! The child didn't even know what drugs were until you told him. I knew I needed to help him with it, but honestly I didn't even want to say the word in front of him. But sure enough, when I said that we don't do drugs because they're bad and they make us sick, he very assuredly agreed. And THEN, Grace pipes up and says "And if we see them on the ground we DON'T pick them up!" Oyyyyyy!!!!!!!

Now I have nothing against anti-drug campaigns, but MY GOODNESS, do we have to bring it up quite this soon? It just makes me a little sad that we have to take away a little of their innocense to protect them. We have to introduce them to the "bad thing" in order to protect them from it. I'm sure there is some kind of study out there to support the idea of starting these programs at such a young age, but it really is such a shame that we have to.

Okay, I'll quit ranting now. And by the way, the thing Samuel was most excited about was that EVERYONE was supposed to wear red today in support of Red Ribbon Week.

No comments: